Facts About NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship
Application and Selection Dates for Dietetic Internship Scholarship
Scholarship applications must be postmarked by January 1, 2013. Applicants are notified of the outcome of scholarship selection by February 1, 2013. Notification status will be sent to all applicants by e-mail to the address designated by the applicant.
Application, Notification and Appointment Dates for Dietetic Internship Program
On-line applications for the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must be completed by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15, 2013.
The $125.00 application fee for the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must be paid by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15, 2013. Only Web-based credit card payments will be accepted. Refer to Dietetic Internship Application Policies and Procedures for payment instructions.
Applicants must register for the on-line computer matching on the D & D Digital Web site at dnddigital.com, pay the computer match fee ($50.00) by credit card and enter their contact information and dietetic internship preferences. Computer match preferences must be made by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15, 2013.
Applicant matching results will be posted on dnddigital.com on Sunday, April 7, 2013, beginning at 6:00 pm Central Time. This is the ONLY source of notification for applicants.
Applicants who receive a match with the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program must telephone, fax or e-mail Elaine Rosenthal, M.S., R.D., CDN, Dietetic Internship Program Administrator, to confirm their acceptance of the match by 5:00 pm (Eastern Time Zone) on Appointment Day.
The Appointment Day for 2013 is April 9, 2013
Elaine Rosenthal, M.S., R.D.
Dietetic Internship Program Administrator
Phone: (212) 746-0836
Fax: (212) 746-8452
Dietetic Intern Appointments and Class Entrance Dates
A maximum of thirty-two dietetic interns may be appointed to the 50-week program each year. These appointments are distributed between two classes, one beginning in September and the other in February. The entrance dates for the 2013 - 2014 class are September 9, 2013 and February 24, 2014.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL, 60606-6995, (312) 899-0040, ext. 5400, http://www.eatright.org/ACEND.
A minimum of a Baccalaureate Degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university or foreign equivalent is required. Note: Applicants with degrees from outside the U.S. must provide written verification that their degree is equivalent to a degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. A copy of the degree equivalency statement must be uploaded in the supplemental section of the on-line application. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital requires completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program will not review the application of a student whose Verification Statement from an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics is greater than five years old unless the student has taken in the past three years or is currently enrolled in a medical nutrition therapy, nutrition and metabolism or nutrition assessment course from an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (either graduate or undergraduate level will be acceptable).
Results from the Graduate Record Examination are not required.
Graduates from colleges and universities throughout the nation are selected for the internship program. To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must be an American citizen, U.S. permanent resident, a U.S. temporary resident under 8 USC 1160 or 1255a(a)(1) , an Asylee under 8 USC 1157 or a Refugee under 8 USC 1158. The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Application Evaluation Committee bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- Academic performance (GPA in Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) courses). Due to the competitive nature of the application selection process, prospective applicants with a DPD GPA of less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale are not encouraged to apply.
- Related work experience (nutrition care and/or foodservice in a hospital or business setting for a minimum of three months duration).
- Academic and work recommendations.
- Personal statement.
- Completeness and presentation of the on-line application.
Final acceptance into the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program is contingent on:
- Submission of an official college transcript documenting completion of a minimum of a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university and the date of conferral.
- Submission of an original degree equivalency statement from one of the approved agencies listed on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Web site (eatright.org) confirming that the degree is equivalent to at least a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Required for students completing their education outside of the United States.
- Submission of an original DPD Verification Statement, signed and dated by the DPD director.
- Satisfactory completion of a physical examination performed before the class entrance date (forms will be sent with appointee enrollment information).
- Satisfactory completion of any health examinations, tests, which include drug testing, or inoculations as required by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (performed upon arrival for the Dietetic Internship Program).
- Proof of medical and hospitalization insurance under an individual or group policy (health insurance is not provided by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital).
- Satisfactory completion of a background check performed before the class entrance date (pertinent information and forms will be sent with appointee enrollment information).
Professional Liability Insurance
Dietetic interns enrolled in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program are provided with professional liability insurance coverage for malpractice related to their clinical learning experiences within the Hospital and affiliated agencies. There is no cost to the dietetic intern for this coverage.
Dietetic interns may purchase meals in the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center Garden Café, in the Columbia University Medical Center Heights Café, The Allen Hospital Café or the Westchester Division Café. On scheduled workdays, a meal allowance of $6.25 is provided at all sites.
Living quarters located at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center are available at a fee starting at $350.00 per month per person.
The following is a list of expenses to be incurred by the dietetic intern for the 2013 - 2014 Class Year:
All of the above expenses are subject to change.
Financial assistance is available through NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Included in this packet are the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Scholarship criteria, application and instructions for scholarship application completion. Note! Completed scholarship applications must be postmarked by January 1, 2013. Additionally, scholarships for students enrolled in accredited dietetic internships are available through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Information is available on their Web site at: http://www.eatright.org/students/careers/aid.aspx.
The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Dietetic Internship Program does not participate in any federal student loan programs. However, students enrolled in the Dietetic Internship Program can apply for deferment of their college loans.
Complete On-line Dietetic Internship Program application by 11:59 pm Central Time on February 15, 2013.
Elaine Rosenthal, MS, RD
Dietetic Internship Program Administrator
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
525 East 68th Street, Box 92
New York, New York 10065
Telephone: (212) 746-0836