Contact the referral call center:
Phone: An operator will pick-up your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a toll free call from anywhere in the continental United States
Live Chat: hours are 8AM -8PM (M-F) EST.
Timothy A. Pedley, MD
- Board Certification
- Education And Training
- Yale University School of Medicine
- Internship: Stanford University Medical Center
- Residency: Stanford University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Stanford University Medical Center
- Areas of Expertise
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Insurance Programs Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [HMO, Medicare, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential (Exchange), Medicaid, Medicare]
- CIGNA [HMO, NY, POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, Child Health Plus, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- Health First [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [ConnectiCare, EPO, HMO, Medicaid, Medicare, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [Medicaid]
- Health Republic - Freelancers (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Oscar (Exchange)
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare]
- United Healthcare [HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Select Health]
- Gender Male
Dr. Pedley is the Henry and Lucy Moses Professor of Neurology at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons and Attending Neurologist at the Neurological Institute of New York, New York Presbyterian Hospital at the Columbia University Medical Center. He served as Chair of Columbia's Department of Neurology and as Neurologist-in-Chief at the Neurological Institute from 1998-2011.
Dr. Pedley received his BA degree from Pomona College and his MD degree from Yale University. He trained in neurology at Stanford University and obtained additional experience in child neurology at the University of Colorado, after which he was a postdoctoral fellow in cellular neurophysiology with Professor David A. Prince and in clinical EEG and epilepsy with Dr. Barry R. Tharp, both at Stanford. After completing his training, he was a member of the faculty of the School of Medicine at Stanford University from 1975-1979. During 1978-79, Dr. Pedley was a Research Fellow in Experimental Neurology with Professor Brian S. Meldrum at the Institute of Psychiatry in London, and in 1979 he joined the Faculty of Medicine at Columbia University.
Throughout his professional career, Dr. Pedley’s major clinical and research interest has been epilepsy, and he has made both basic laboratory and clinical contributions to the field. Most recently, he has collaborated with Drs. Ruth Ottman and W. Allen Hauser in family studies of epilepsy and identification of genes associated with human epilepsy syndromes. In 1989, Dr. Pedley established the Neurological Institute's Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, one of the first such centers in New York State to be accredited by the Department of Health. He has edited several standard textbooks on epilepsy, EEG and neurology. He was Editor-in-Chief of Epilepsia, the international professional journal of epilepsy, from 1994 to 2001. In 1995, Dr. Pedley was named Ambassador for Epilepsy by the International League Against Epilepsy and the International Bureau for Epilepsy for his international contributions to epilepsy, and in 2006, he received the William G. Lennox Award of the American Epilepsy Society for lifetime achievements.
Dr. Pedley is a major leader in American neurology. He has been President of the American Neurological Association (2007-2009), the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (1989-1990), the American Epilepsy Society (1991-1992), and the Epilepsy Foundation of America (1991-1993) where he was later Chairman of the Board (1993-1995). He also served as Chairman of the American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology (1989-1990). He was a member of the National Advisory Neurological Disorders and Stroke Council of the NINDS/NIH from 2007-2011. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and he was elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences in 2007. Dr. Pedley is currently President of the American Academy of Neurology.
- Primary Office
Neurological Institute of New York
710 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 305-6489
Fax: (212) 305-6978
Public Transportation: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes