Contact the referral call center:
Phone: An operator will pick-up your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a toll free call from anywhere in the continental United States
Live Chat: hours are 8AM -8PM (M-F) EST.
James M. McKiernan, MD
- Primary Specialty
- Urology (Board Certified)
- Education And Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NY
- Clinical Expertise
- Prostate Cancer
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Bladder Cancer
- Genitourinary Surgery
- Urologic Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Testicular Cancer
- Insurance Programs Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [HMO, Medicare, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential (Exchange), Medicaid, Medicare]
- CIGNA [Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, Child Health Plus, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), POS, PPO]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- Health First [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- United Healthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Select Health]
- Gender Male
James McKiernan, MD, the George F. Cahill Professor of Urology, was named chair of the Department of Urology of the College of Physicians and Surgeons and urologist-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia, effective July 1, 2014. Dr. McKiernan has been a highly effective leader in his role as interim chair and chief since last September, and we are confident that he will continue to lead the department and grow its research and clinical operations. As the department chair, he will be nominated to become the John K. Lattimer Professor of Urology.
The Department of Urology, one of the oldest and most distinguished in the nation, consistently ranks among the top in New York and throughout the United States. NewYork-Presbyterian’s urology program ranked No. 5 in the latest U.S. News & World Report ranking of America’s best hospitals. In 2013, the department ranked No. 10 in NIH grants among medical schools. Dr. McKiernan graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a BA in biology and received his MD from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He completed his training in urology and general surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, followed by a urologic surgical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. McKiernan specializes in urologic oncology, particularly surgery therapy in high-risk patients with bladder and kidney cancers. His research, funded by NIH and the Prostate Cancer Foundation, focuses on novel drug and biomarker development, as well as comparative effectiveness, in urologic oncology. In the management of kidney and bladder cancer, he has special expertise in organ preservation and reconstructive surgery to maximize quality of life. Dr. McKiernan’s research has been published in Cancer, Cancer Research, the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the Journal of Urology, Urologic Oncology, and Urology. He has authored and co-authored more than 160 scientific articles and book chapters on urologic oncology.
For the past 10 years, he has directed a research team at Columbia University Medical Center investigating quality outcomes and effectiveness in urologic cancer surgery. He has served as the Vice Chairman for the AJCC TNM Staging Task Force, as well as on the American Board of Urology and Society of Urologic Oncology Examination Committees. In addition, Dr. McKiernan is the principal investigator of the NIH-funded clinical trials program of experimental therapeutics in bladder cancer at Columbia, which is investigating new agents for bladder preservation in patients whose cancer has recurred after standard therapy. In collaboration with researchers at Columbia’s Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, his team continues to develop new therapeutic strategies for managing bladder cancer.
- This provider accepts new patients
- Appointment Phone Number:
- Primary Office
Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Avenue
Floor: 11 New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 305-0114
Fax: (212) 305-6813
Public Transportation: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes