Contact the referral call center:
Phone: An operator will pick-up your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a toll free call from anywhere in the continental United States
Live Chat: hours are 8AM -8PM (M-F) EST.
Hiroo Takayama, MD, PhD
- Primary Specialties
- Thoracic Surgery (Board Certified)
- Cardiac Surgery (Board Certified)
- Board Certification
- Education And Training
- University of Tokyo (Japan)
- Internship: University of Tokyo Hospital
- Residency: University of Tokyo Hospital
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: University of Washington Medical Center
- Fellowship: University of Washington Medical Center
- Clinical Expertise
- Cardiac Surgery
- Heart Surgery
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
- Aortic Surgery
- Ventricular Assist Device Procedure
- Heart Transplantation
- Ventricular Septal Myotomy-Myectomy
- Heart Failure
- Cardiogenic Shock
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Insurance Programs Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [HMO, Medicare, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential (Exchange), Medicaid, Medicare]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, Child Health Plus, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- Health First [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid, Medicare]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [Medicaid]
- Local 1199
- Medicaid [NJ, NY]
- Medicare [Medicare, Railroad]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare]
- UnitedHealthcare [Compass (Exchange), HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Select Health]
- Gender Male
Dr. Hiroo Takayama is a heart surgeon. He graduated from University of Tokyo in 1996. To date, he has performed approximately 1,000 cardiac surgical procedures, of which 500 involved heart valve operations. He performs surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center.
"I believe my greatest strength as a heart surgeon is that I have an expertise in operating on patients with complex aortic disease and/or significant heart failure.
These patients are often deemed inoperable elsewhere, and usually require a specific perioperative care to protect a previously damaged heart that may also require temporary circulatory support."
His cardiac specialties include: aortic surgery, surgery for heart failure and surgery for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Dr. Takayama’s clinical interests relative to heart valve surgery include: valve-sparing aortic root surgery, aortic valve repair and mitral valve repair, heart failure surgery, ventricular support and cardiac transplantation.
- This provider accepts new patients
- Appointment Phone Number:
- Primary Office
Milstein Hospital Building
177 Fort Washington Avenue
Suite 7-435 New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 305-6380
Fax: (212) 342-3520
Public Transportation: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes
- Non-English Languages Spoken: