Contact the referral call center:
Phone: An operator will pick-up your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a toll free call from anywhere in the continental United States
Live Chat: hours are 8AM -8PM (M-F) EST.
Donald J. D'Amico, MD
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell
- Primary Specialty
- Ophthalmology (Board Certified)
- Education And Training
- University of Illinois School of Medicine
- Internship: Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center
- Residency: Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Harvard
- Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Areas of Expertise
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Macular Degeneration
- Retinal Detachment
- Retina & Vitreous Surgery
- Retinal and Vitreous Disorders
- Insurance Programs Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [HMO, Medicare, PPO]
- Affinity [HMO, Medicare, Weill Cornell POS]
- CIGNA [HMO, Medicare, POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [EPO, PPO]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [HMO, MCD]
- OXFORD [HMO, PPO]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource [PPO]
- United Healthcare [EPO, HMO, Medicare, POS, PPO]
- Gender Male
Donald J. D'Amico, MD, Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Ophthalmologist-in-Chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, is an internationally recognized leader in the field of vitreoretinal surgery. He assumed the Chair at Weill Cornell in 2006 after his longstanding positions at Harvard Medical School as Professor of Ophthalmology, and as Associate Chief of Ophthalmology and Director of the Diabetic Unit at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
A graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Illinois College of Medicine, he completed his residency at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. He completed his fellowship in vitreoretinal diseases at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, followed by selection as Chief Resident in Ophthalmology at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary prior to joining the Harvard faculty.
Dr. D'Amico has published over 175 articles on vitreoretinal diseases and has co-edited two books covering comprehensive retinal themes. He has participated as a principal investigator or co-investigator in many clinical trials and laboratory investigations. His major interests include: vitreoretinal surgery; diabetic retinopathy; macular degeneration; experimental lasers and other technologies for the surgical treatment of vitreoretinal disorders such as retinal detachment, macular holes and epiretinal membranes; and endophthalmitis and intravitreal drug therapy. As attending physician specializing in the care of patients with vitreoretinal disorders at the Weill Cornell Department of Ophthalmology, Dr. D'Amico also provides direct instruction of medical students, ophthalmology residents, and retina fellows. In this role he has twice received the Teacher of the Year Award given by the residents of the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Dr. D'Amico is a distinguished national and international lecturer and is the recipient of many honors, including the Honor Award and the Senior Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He serves on the board of four major journals, and is highly active in professional societies. He is a past President of the Retina Society, and is the immediate past President of the prestigious international retinal organization Club Jules Gonin.
- This provider accepts new patients
- Primary Office
1305 York Avenue
11th nad 12th Floor New York, NY 10021
Phone: (646) 962-2020
Fax: (646) 962-0600
Public Transportation: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes