Contact the referral call center:
Phone: An operator will pick-up your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a toll free call from anywhere in the continental United States
Live Chat: hours are 8AM -8PM (M-F) EST.
Cigdem I. Akman, MD
- Primary Specialties
- Neurology With Special Qualifications In Child Neurology (Board Certified)
- Child Neurology (Board Certified)
- Education And Training
- Ankara University Medical School
- Internship: Maimonides Medical Center
- Residency: State University of New York - Downstate Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Boston
- Areas of Expertise
- Pediatric Epilepsy
- Insurance Programs Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [Columbia University Employee Plan]
- Affinity [HMO, Medicare]
- CIGNA [HMO, Medicare, POS, PPO]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [HMO, POS, PPO]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Local 1199 [National Benefit Fund]
- Multiplan [PPO]
- Neighborhood Health Providers [Medicaid]
- United Healthcare
- Gender Female
Dr. Akman is Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology and Pediatrics of the Division of Pediatric Neurology, Departments of Neurology and Pediatrics, College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University.
Dr. Akman was born and educated in Ankara, Turkey where she graduated with Honors from the School of Medicine, Ankara University. Dr. Akman completed her training in Child Neurology at State University of New York; Clinical neurophysiology & Epilepsy at Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School. Subsequently, Dr Akman joined the Division of Pediatric Neurology and Pediatric Epilepsy at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center and participated in clinical education and patients' care until 2008. Between 2008 and 2010, Dr Akman worked as the Director of Clinical Epilepsy Research at Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine. Dr Akman has re-joined the Division of Pediatric Neurology and Pediatric Epilepsy as the Director of Pediatric Epilepsy in 2010.
Dr. Akman's clinical research has focused on childhood onset epilpsy, epilepsy refractory to the medical treatment, epilepsy surgery and cognitive and behavioral problems associated with epilepsy. Dr Akman has published inpeer reviewed journals, in the area of medical treatment and diagnosis of childhood onset epilepsy, clinical neurophysiology to describe the EEG patterns in critically ill children. Her clinical practice focuses on infantile and childhood epilepsy; epilepsy surgery and the treatment of refractory epilepsy in children.
- This provider accepts new patients
- Appointment Phone Number:
- Primary Office
180 Fort Washington Avenue
Floor: 5 New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 305-6867
Fax: (212) 342-6865
Public Transportation: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes
- Non-English Languages Spoken: