Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon, Wilted Arugula and Griled Sweet Potato
Health Benefits: Thyme is an excellent source of antioxidants and contains antifungal and antibacterial properties.
This recipe is prepared by Chef Thomas Schassler.
The Nutrition Facts are prepared by Lauren Nickerson, RD and Curtis Felton, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sodium free herb blend (example, Mrs. Dash)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, peeled
- Four 5 ounce salmon fillets, skinless and boneless
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, julienne or finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, julienne or finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 cups fresh arugula, chopped
- 3 teaspoons lemon rind, finely chopped
- Balsamic Syrup: Add the balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons thyme to saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the vinegar reduces to 1 tablespoon. Remove from heat and strain to remove thyme.
- Slice sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices. Brush or coat with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon rind and Mrs. Dash. Grill on medium heat for 3-6 minutes on each side or roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes (if a grill is not available).
- Season salmon with 1 tablespoon each of thyme, oil and garlic, 2 teaspoons of lemon rind and juice and pepper flakes. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil to saute pan on medium high. When pan is hot, add salmon and sear until golden brown. Turn salmon over and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove salmon and set aside. If filet is thicker than 1 1/2 - 2 inches, finish in a preheated oven at 350°degrees after searing for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining garlic, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and julienned peppers. Sauté peppers for 30 seconds and add arugula until they wilt.
- Place sweet potatoes on plate and top with arugula. Add salmon on top of greens and drizzle plate with balsamic syrup. Garnish with thyme.
|Calories 570 kcal|
|Total Fat 28 g*|
|Saturated Fat 5.6 g|
|Cholesterol 78 mg|
|Sodium 192 mg|
|Total Carbs 45 g|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5 g|
|Protein 33 g|
|*Majority of the fat in this recipe comes from heart healthy Omega 3 fats.|
- Dill Garlic Salmon (NEW!)
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich