Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is a great way to add flavor to a dish without adding salt, fat or sugar. The whole wheat tortilla and vegetables supply a large amount of fiber, which will help to keep you full longer. The tomatoes and green peppers in this recipe also supply more than 100% of the daily value for Vitamin C. Vitamin C is necessary for many functions in the body, including formation of collagen, cartilage, muscle and blood vessels.
Recipe Yield: 1 Serving
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw mushrooms, chopped
- 2 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ounce oven-baked skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 1 ounce low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pico de Gallo:
- 1/4 small white onion
- 2 slices medium tomato
- 1/4 garlic clove
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro, washed
- Warm canola oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add green peppers and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray sauté pan with non-stick cooking spray and place one tortilla flat in pan.
- Cover the tortilla with the shredded chicken breast, then top with the sautéed vegetables and shredded cheese.
- Place the other tortilla on top, making a sandwich, and heat while lightly pressing with a spatula, until cheese is melted.
Pico de Gallo:
- Place the onion, tomato, garlic and cilantro into a food processor and pulse until a chopped texture is achieved.
- Serve on the side with the warm quesadilla.
Serving Size = 1 quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 440||Calories from Fat 106|
|Total Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5 g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 30 mg||10%|
|Sodium 800 mg||33%|
|Total Carbs 56 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 9 g||36%|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 28 g|
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad (NEW!)
- Dill Garlic Salmon
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich