Lentil and Spinach Wrap
Lentils are high in fiber, protein, folate and antioxidants. You can find them in both dried and canned forms, though canned lentils may be higher in sodium content. Lentils range in color from red, to yellow, green or brown. In comparison to other dried legumes, lentils are quick and easy to prepare. They can be easily added to soups, wraps, salads, stuffing, curries, and can be used as spreads. Lentils can even be a great meat substitute.
Recipe Yield: 8 servings
- 6 ounces brown lentils, dry (about 1 cup)
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 4 13" whole wheat wraps
- 4 tbsp finely chopped red onions
- 16 thin slices low fat Swiss cheese
- 16 ounces baby spinach
- 4 roasted red peppers, sliced
- Rinse lentils. Place in a saucepan and add vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, until the lentils are tender, approximately 25-30 minutes. Skim off any impurities, as necessary.
- Drain lentils and chill while assembling and preparing other ingredients.
- Mix diced red onions with cooked lentils.
- Place about 1/2 cup of lentil and onion filling in middle of wrap.
- Top lentils with 2 slices of Swiss cheese, 2 oz of baby spinach and 1/2 of a red pepper sliced.
- Roll up wrap, folding in sides while rolling to keep lentil filling inside of wrap. Cut in half. Wrap may be served hot or cold to your liking.
Serving Size: 1/2 lentil wrap
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 310||Calories from Fat 50|
|Total Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 6 g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 610 mg||25%|
|Total Carbs 45 g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 11 g||44%|
|Sugars 3 g|
|Protein 19 g|
- Dill Garlic Salmon (NEW!)
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich