Nutritious & Delicious Marjoram
Marjoram, an aromatic herb in the mint family, originated in Egypt and Arabia. Today it is commonly found in the Mediterranean region and grown in gardens around the world. Marjoram is available in many forms: essential oil, fresh or dried leaves, or powder, and has many uses.
Marjoram tea is thought to offer a soothing effect to the digestive system and enhance appetite. Marjoram essential oil, considered to be the most fragrant of all aromatic oils, is widely used in aromatherapy to offer relief from muscle aches, cramps, sprains, and toothaches.
Marjoram is also thought to help reduce the risk of high blood pressure and prevent the buildup of cholesterol, reducing the risk of hardened arteries and aiding in improved blood circulation. Studies show that lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels are linked to a reduced rate of heart disease and heart attack.
Historically, marjoram was used to help treat food poisoning, wound infections, and the common cold. As an anti-inflammatory, marjoram has been used to help relieve asthma, muscle spasms, sinus headaches, migraines, fever and body aches. Applied topically, it also has been said to relieve painful joints, sore muscles, sprains, backache and toothaches.
Marjoram is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. You can enjoy marjoram's health benefits and flavor by adding it to soups, sauces, salads, and meat dishes.
This article was submitted by Jacqueline Spang, RD, CDN, Clinical Dietitian at NYP/Westchester Division
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad (NEW!)V
- Cioppino over Pasta (NEW!)
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho (NEW!)V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup (NEW!)V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Quinoa Basil Salad (NEW!)V
- Mexican Bean Salad V, GF
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and CranberriesGF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe