Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa
Recipe prepared by Chef Bill Doyle
Nutrition Facts by Erika Breitfeller, RD and Curtis Felton, RD
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
For the Salsa:
1/8 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon shallot, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1/8 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/3 cup pineapple, diced
For the Salmon:
1 pound salmon fillet, boneless and skinless
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper cracked or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
For the Salsa:
- Heat butter and sauté shallots, jalapeño and ginger in a medium saucepan for 1 minute or until the aromas are released.
- Add orange juice and reduce over medium heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until it is reduced by 1/3.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir and set aside.
For the Salmon:
- Cut salmon evenly into 4 fillets.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for marinade in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet, cover with marinade and wrap with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- Preheat grill on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, remove fillets from baking sheet.
- Depending on the thickness, grill fillets 3-4 minutes per side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F using a meat thermometer.
Note: If a grill is unavailable, preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let salmon stand for 2 minutes. Serve fillets with salsa and garnish with mint.
Nutritional facts per serving: 161 calories, 5g fat (29% calories from fat), 1g saturated fat (6% calories from saturated fat), 52g cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 24g protein and 4g carbohydrates
Health Benefits: Mint contains antioxidants and is thought to have a soothing effect.
- Cranberry Almond Biscotti with Dark Chocolate Drizzle (NEW!)
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (NEW!)
- Tomato Oreganata (NEW!)
- Healthy Trail Mix with Dried Apples
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken
- Banana Blueberry Parfait
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad
- Dill Garlic Salmon
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese
- Thyme and Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Potato Gnocchi with Zucchini and Thyme Sauce
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Tomato Couscous
- Pumpkin and Thyme Gnocchi
- Thyme and Lemon Seared Salmon
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Vegetable Pad Thai
- Caribbean Chicken Soup
- Aztec Cilantro Couscous
- Gazpacho Soup
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Turkey Burger
- Asian-Flavored Coleslaw with Rice Vinegar and Ginger
- Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Lentil and Spinach Wrap
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Pesto, Tomato and Feta Cheese Pizza
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Flank Steak, Spinach & Goat Cheese Wrap
- Portobello Wrap
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta
- Heart Healthy Breakfast Sandwich