Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken
Skinless chicken breast is a good source of lean protein and since the skin has been removed most of the unhealthy, saturated fat has also been removed. Grilling is a fun way to cook different types of food, especially in the summer if you are able to go outside and use a grill. Grilling adds a unique flavor and also allows you to cook with less fat. A marinade full of herbs, spice and citrus flavors is a great way to enhance flavor without adding a lot of salt.
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 8 slices red onion, 1/2 inch thick
- 4 4 oz skinless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- Combine vermouth, chives, oregano, rosemary, lemon rind and juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl; stir well.
- Arrange onion slices in a single layer in a shallow dish. Add chicken breast halves to the dish then pour herb mixture over onion and chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill by bringing it to medium-high heat.
- Remove onion slices and chicken from dish, reserving marinade. Place chicken breast halves, bone sides up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill chicken for 10-15 minutes, turning and basting with reserved marinade after 5 minutes. Chicken is cooked when internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F (note: time may depend on thickness of chicken and temperature of grill).
- Grill onion slices 6 minutes or until tender, turning and basting with reserved marinade after 3 minutes.
Serving Size: 4 oz chicken breast half with 2 onion slices
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories 290||Calories from Fat 70|
|Total Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 65 mg||22%|
|Sodium 290 mg||12%|
|Total Carbs 21 g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||10%|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 28 g|