Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and Cranberries
Recipe prepared by Chef Miriam Zamparelli
Nutrition Facts by Pegah Jalali, RD and Curtis Felton, RD
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
- 3/4 cup unsalted almonds, roasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried
- 2 cups kale, thinly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add quinoa to broth, reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
- Simmer for 13 minutes or until quinoa is tender and all the stock is absorbed.
- Stir in olive oil and fluff with a fork.
- Transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients up to the lemon zest.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with mint and serve.
21g fat (34% calories from fat)
2g saturated fat (3.8% calories from saturated fat)
14g dietary fiber
*Note: Majority of the fat in this recipe comes from heart healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
Health Benefits: Mint contains antioxidants and is thought to have a soothing effect.
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe