Pan Seared Striped Bass with Asian Dill Slaw
Health Benefits: Dill and its seeds replace salt to enhance the flavor of foods and may aid in digestion.
Recipe prepared by Chef Ross Posmentier Nutrition Facts by Martha McKittrick, RD and Curtis Felton, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
- For the Asian Slaw:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Mirin
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 cup fennel, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- For the Bass:
- Four 5 ounce striped bass fillets, boneless
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- To make the Asian slaw, combine rice vinegar, sea salt and Mirin in a large mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to dissolve the salt.
- Add cabbage, carrots and fennel to the vinegar mixture and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle sesame seeds and fresh dill on top of the slaw and set aside.
- For the fillets, dry bass fillets with a clean paper towel, season with salt and pepper, lightly coat flesh side of fillets with flour and set aside.
- Place a large skillet or saute pan over medium to high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute and add oil to the pan.
- Sear fillets skin side first for 2-3 minutes, turn fillets over and sear another 1-2 minutes. Remove fillets from pan and set aside.
- Add lemon juice and vegetable broth to pan and bring to boil. Add dill and fillets to pan, cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat for 5 minutes, allowing fish to rest.
- To serve, arrange slaw in the middle of a plate with fillet on top, place sauce around the sides and garnish with fresh dill.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 7g (27% of calories)|
|Saturated Fat 1.2g (4.6% of calories)|
|Total Carbs 11g|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g|
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe