Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil Stew
Aromatic spices add authentic Moroccan flavor to the chicken breasts. Marinating the chicken infuses flavor and juiciness into the meat.
Recipe prepared by Chef Prashant Josse
Nutrition facts by Georgia Giannopoulos, RD, CDN, CNSC and Rachel Stahl, RD, Culinary Nutrition Fellow.
Recipe Yield:4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (about 6 oz each)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken breasts with all of the ingredients. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When chicken is done marinating, preheat oven to 375°F. In a skillet, on medium-high heat, add marinated chicken breasts and pan sear for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer chicken to a baking dish and place in oven for about 6-8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serve over the chickpea and lentil stew.
Chickpea & Lentil Stew
This hearty stew pairs well with the Moroccan chicken, but can also be enjoyed on its own! Lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas provide filling fiber and protein.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced, canned
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from the above lemon)
- Sprig of cilantro for garnish
- In a large saucepot, on medium-high heat, heat oil in a pan. Add onions and celery and cook until softened.
- Add ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper and cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Stir in lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and reduce.
- Add chopped cilantro, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Serve hot with the pan seared chicken breast.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 serving of entire dish):
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 18.8 g(34% of calories from fat)|
|Saturated Fat 2.9 g(5.2% of calories from saturated fat)|
|Cholesterol 77 mg|
|Sodium 351 mg|
|Carbohydrates 41 g|
|Dietary Fiber 13.5 g|
|Protein 40 g|
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe