Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
This pita sandwich, which is based on the Mediterranean diet, is full of flavor and health benefits. The yogurt, chicken and chickpeas provide protein while the mint, red bell pepper, onion, baby spinach, and tomato provide powerful antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. The whole wheat pita boosts the fiber content of this veggie-packed sandwich. It is a heart-healthy recipe – low in sodium and cholesterol. Studies have shown that a Mediterranean diet may lead to a longer lifespan by reducing your risk for heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Recipe Yield: 6 Servings (6 pita sandwiches)
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 six-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 fifteen-oz. can, no salt added, chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 six-inch whole wheat pitas
- 1 half cup baby spinach leaves
- 6 quarter-inch thick slices tomato, cut in halve
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, and cumin in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add bay leaf to pot with chicken broth diluted with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts and simmer on medium heat until cooked through (8-10 minutes).
- Remove cooked chicken breasts from broth, let cool on cutting board and then dice into cubes. Place chicken pieces in yogurt mixture. Toss gently to coat all sides. Set aside.
- Combine bell pepper, onion, mint and chickpeas. Divide mixture into 6 servings and stuff into each pita.
- Place a small handful (1/4 cup) of spinach leaves and 2 sliced tomato halves in each pita.
- Add a 1/2 cup of diced chicken mixture to each pita.
- Serve and enjoy!
|Calories 400 kcal||Calories from Fat 40|
|Total Fat 4.5 g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5 g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||17%|
|Sodium 500 mg||21%|
|Total Carbs 58 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 32 g|
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad (NEW!)V
- Cioppino over Pasta (NEW!)
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho (NEW!)V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup (NEW!)V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Quinoa Basil Salad (NEW!)V
- Mexican Bean Salad V, GF
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and CranberriesGF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe