Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa
Recipe prepared by Chef Bill Doyle
Nutrition Facts by Erika Breitfeller, RD and Curtis Felton, RD
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
For the Salsa:
1/8 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon shallot, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1/8 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/3 cup pineapple, diced
For the Salmon:
1 pound salmon fillet, boneless and skinless
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper cracked or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
For the Salsa:
- Heat butter and sauté shallots, jalapeño and ginger in a medium saucepan for 1 minute or until the aromas are released.
- Add orange juice and reduce over medium heat for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until it is reduced by 1/3.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir and set aside.
For the Salmon:
- Cut salmon evenly into 4 fillets.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for marinade in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet, cover with marinade and wrap with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- Preheat grill on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, remove fillets from baking sheet.
- Depending on the thickness, grill fillets 3-4 minutes per side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F using a meat thermometer.
Note: If a grill is unavailable, preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let salmon stand for 2 minutes. Serve fillets with salsa and garnish with mint.
Nutritional facts per serving: 161 calories, 5g fat (29% calories from fat), 1g saturated fat (6% calories from saturated fat), 52g cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 24g protein and 4g carbohydrates
Health Benefits: Mint contains antioxidants and is thought to have a soothing effect.
- Mozzarella Roulade with Arugula Salad (NEW!)V
- Cioppino over Pasta (NEW!)
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Gazpacho (NEW!)V
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup (NEW!)V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Quinoa Basil Salad (NEW!)V
- Mexican Bean Salad V, GF
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Almonds and CranberriesGF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe