Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema
The distinct flavors of cilantro, cumin, coriander, and paprika are the perfect complements to this light and flavorful dish.
Recipe prepared by Chef Miriam Zamparelli
Nutrition Facts by by Georgia Giannopoulos, RD, CDN, CNSC and Rachel Stahl, RD, Culinary Nutrition Fellow
Recipe Yield: 4 servings (2 tacos per serving)
For the Crema:1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 cup cucumbers, peeled, quartered
2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon lime rind, grated
1 garlic clove, minced
For the fish tacos:1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pound Tilapia fillets (or cod, snapper)
1 teaspoon olive oil (to coat pan)
8 6” flour or corn tortillas or 6” taco shells
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 medium avocado,
sliced Wedge of lemon
Salt to taste
1 jalapeño, chopped or 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, diced (optional).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. For the Crema, combine the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- To prepare the fish tacos, combine cumin, coriander, paprika, and garlic powder in a small bowl; sprinkle spices evenly on both sides of fish.
- Coat baking sheet with olive oil and place fish on it. Bake for 10 minutes, or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Then place fish in a medium bowl and break into small pieces with fork.
- If using flour tortillas, heat a nonstick pan to medium-heat and place tortilla until warm and soft. If using corn tortillas or taco shells warm in oven for 1 minute.
- Divide fish evenly among tortillas or in taco shells, top each with ¼ cup cabbage, sliced avocado, and 2 tablespoons Crema.
- Serve with wedge of lemon and add chopped jalapeños or diced tomatoes for extra spice and flavor.
Nutritional facts per serving (per 2 tacos):
16.2g total fat (28% calories from fat)
3.3g saturated fat (5.8% calories from saturated fat)
43g total carbohydrate
6.6g dietary fiber
- Cilantro Chicken TikkaGF (NEW!)
- Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro and Cucumber Crema (NEW!)
- Moroccan Chicken with Chickpea and Lentil StewGF (NEW!)
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken over Whole Wheat Penne
- Lime, Garlic and Oregano Mojo Grilled Chicken GF
- Grilled Salmon with Warm Mint Pineapple Salsa GF
- Herbed Chicken Cutlets with Mint GF
- Baked Halibut Sitka with Dill and Cucumber Salad GF
- Dill Garlic Salmon GF
- Pan Seared Striped Bass With Asian Dill Slaw GF
- Rosemary and Lemon Pan Seared Chicken Breast GF
- Pan Seared Rosemary Salmon Skewers GF
- Portobello and Spinach Bolognese V
- Summer Chicken Stir Fry With Brown RiceGF
- Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- Turkey Burger
- Lemon-Herb Grilled Chicken GF
- Spinach, Zucchini and Walnut Pasta V
Sandwiches & Wraps
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pita
- Heart Healthy and Planet Friendly Black Bean Burrito V
- Sweet Potato Portobello Mushroom Wrap with Savory Yogurt Dressing V
- Heart Healthy Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Heart-Healthy Avocado Pita Pocket V
- Fruity Chicken Salad Wrap with Acorn Squash Salad
- Butternut Squash Bisque V, GF
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (NEW!)
- Caribbean Chicken Soup GF
- Gazpacho Soup V, GF
- Chunky Roasted Vegetable Chili V, GF
- Sofrito V, GF
What the letters mean...
- V = vegetarian recipe
- GF = gluten-free recipe