Celebrating Child Life Month!
Meet Our Specialists at the Child Life Month Info Table
Wednesday, March 12, 11am-1pm
Thursday, March 13, 11am-1pm
Friday, March 14, 11am-1pm
Garden Cafe Exit (NYP Cafeteria)
Helping Children and Families
A Child Life Specialist is a certified healthcare professional specializing in child development and the impact of health care on children. At the Komansky Center, you will find our our team throughout many of our inpatient and outpatient areas. Our child life specialists offer support and guidance to children and adolescents, their parents, and their siblings, as well as children coping with a loved one being treated at the Hospital Child Life Services are an essential part of our approach to caring for children, helping "normalize" the hospital experience.
Child Life Specialists help minimize the stress of the hospital experience for our pediatric patients and their families -- helping ease fears and providing emotional support. Our services include:
- Pre-Op Program including a special pre-surgery tour
- Therapeutic play with arts and crafts, writing, reading, and recreational games
- Music therapy
- Pet therapy
- Artist-in-Residence Program
- Special events and partnerships with community non-profit organizations
Did You Know...
- Child Life Specialists work throughout the Komansky Center, including the Pediatric Emergency Department, Pediatric Inpatient Unit (6 North), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), pediatric burn unit, Helmsley Medical Tower outpatient services, and the pediatric procedure and sedation unit.
- There are over 400 child life programs within hospitals in the USA.
- Mott Children’s Hospital established the first child life related program in 1922.
- Child life associated programs span all over the world including Canada, Japan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Switzerland and South Africa.
- To be a practicing child life specialist, one must have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree, complete a minimum of 480 hours of child life clinical experience and pass a certification exam within the first year of hire.
- In addition to hospitals, child life specialists are employed in hospice programs, camps, early intervention programs, courtrooms, dental practices, support/bereavement groups, community programs, and private practices.
Komansky Center Child Life Resources
Child Life Services Brochure [PDF]
Pre-Op Brochure [PDF]
Child Life Services web page