Celebrating Child Life Month at the Komansky Center
In celebration of Child Life Month this March, the Child Life team at the Komansky Center would like to share information about their services, and invites all faculty and staff to stop by the Garden Café on Tuesday, March 12th, Wednesday, March 13th or Thursday, March 14th from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm for the Child Life Showcase.
Child Life Services at the Komansky Center
A Child Life Specialist is a certified healthcare professional specializing in child development and the impact of healthcare on children. Our Child Life Specialists have expertise in the support of children and families undergoing stressful or traumatic healthcare experiences. They explain the hospital experience to pediatric patients in a developmentally, age-appropriate, non-threatening way. Staff also teach parents and siblings stress management skills to create a more secure network that supports the pediatric patient's well-being and healing.
Child Life Services is also fortunate to have on staff a Music Therapist. Music therapy provides the opportunity for self-expression, building self-esteem and coping skills in addition to physiological benefits for blood pressure and heart rate.
Key Functions of Child Life Services
- Preparing children and family members for scheduled procedures including pre-admission tours
- Accompanying a patient during a clinical procedure to provide distraction and guided imagery techniques
- Teaching pain management methods such as deep breathing and comfort holds for parents to help young patients
- Collaborating with families and medical professionals
- Educating children and family members about a new diagnosis, illness, injury or recuperation
- Encouraging self-expression
- Offering children and adolescents age appropriate coping skills
- Assisting with adherence to prescribed care
- Providing developmental play for the achievement and maintenance of milestones
- Addressing the needs of siblings affected by illness/hospitalization
- Providing emotional support for patients and families facing a criticial condition, including palliative care and/or bereavement
Where Can I Find Child Life at the Komansky Center?
Child Life Services can be found in the following units/areas in the Komansky Center:
- Pediatric Inpatient Unit
- Pediatric Emergency Department
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (pending)
- William Randolph Hearst Burn Center
- Pediatric Outpatient Service
- Pediatric Procedure and Sedation Unit
- Peri-Operative Services
- Outpatient Burn Center
- Outpatient Neurological Surgery
For more information about our programs and services, please visit our Child Life Services web page